Friday, June 6, 2014

Kidnapped in Afghanistan: A Personal Viewpoint

During my time as an amateur journalist, I have come across many news stories and written about many social issues. However, I cannot help but to become involved in this story which has been at the centre of media attention and debate.

The focus of news media lately has been regarding the story of a Canadian and American couple who were kidnapped in the Warsaw province of Afghanistan approximately 20 months ago.


That couple happens to be my cousin Josh, and his wife Caitlan along with their baby.


The quiet couple are now the center of media attention after videos were released of them pleading for help from their governments. However, it seems like it might not be all that big of a priority for government heads rescuing their own Canadian and American citizens from the hands of terrorist groups such as the Taliban. 


This was the case involving Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, an army sergeant who was recently released from captivity of the Taliban in exchange for five high level Taliban members. However, as I later learned, Josh and Caitlan were supposed to be a part of that deal in the first place. So, what happened? Although both families kept the videos private, they decided to make them public, in hopes that the publicity surrounding the Bergdahl case would draw attention to Josh and Caitlan's situation.  I (along with my family) were disappointed that Josh and Caitlan were not freed.


Regarding the US' regulations on hostage negotiations, Rep. Duncan Hunter of the House Armed Services Committee questioned the reasoning of it all by asking "Instead of five for one, why not five for five?" My point exactly!


The constant bickering between the committees and individuals responsible for the well-being of Canadian and American hostages in foreign countries, makes me question the competency and effectiveness of the Canadian and American governments (as well as all parties involved in the process).

My uncle recently said in an interview with Global News: "It would be no more appropriate to have our government turn their backs on their citizens than to turn their backs on those who serve," and for once I agree with him. All lives should be treated as equally valuable and we should do everything in our power to preserve them. No matter what the background of the person has to reveal about their lives. In all honestly, their story has been clouded by the misconceptions of society. Their passion for travel and multiculturalism has been overlooked by the fact that they were exploring in hostile territory (which caused uproar among the public.) And Josh's previous ties to the Khadr family has sparked controversy regarding the decision to rescue both of them from the hands of the Taliban, bringing me to my other point. 


For all of those individuals posting vulgar comments regarding Josh and Caitlain like "I pray for their deaths" and describing them as "Taliban loving tourists", well, unless you know them personally and I know for a fact that both of them are kind, generous people who simply wanted to help others in need. I do get offended when people speak ill my family and I'm sure that anyone else would feel the same if the same thing was done to them. It is easy to hide behind a computer screen and spread hateful comments, without fearing that anyone could see your face. However for families (including myself), hearing those words hurts more than you can imagine. You should never judge a person unless you have walked a million miles in there shoes and understand the challenges they face on a daily basis.


In all honesty, all I want is to see my cousin again. I miss him, and watching those videos haunt me, as now, I don't even recognize the once giant teddy bear who used to comfort me and protect me as his younger cousin.  I have missed so many memories with him, memories which leave a feeling of emptiness inside me: my graduation, my (and his) grandmother's funeral and numerous holidays. Occasions which revolve around the comfort of family. Every time we get together as a family, there is always an empty void from where Josh would be sitting beside us. That void will be forever with us, until Josh and Caitlan come home with their baby, ready to start their lives anew. 



I miss you Josh and pray for your safe return home. 









The videos released of my cousin and his wife pleading for help from their governments

Videos of my aunt and uncle along with the Coleman family speaking out about the issue

Updates regarding Josh and Caitlan's situation

No comments:

Post a Comment